One of the highlight events each year is the Pack Fall Camping Trip. For many scouts this is their first time camping and they are always super excited for it. This year we decided to trek out to Treasure Valley Scout Camp in Rutland, MA. Many of us arrived on Friday night to setup camp and enjoy some quiet time by the campfire. On Saturday after a hearty breakfast we worked on Scout Crafts and Rank Requirements before taking a hike down to the parade field for some group games. After a delicious group dinner we held our annual Campfire Program with many skits and songs. A good time was had by many!
Scouting will look a bit different for us this year as we all work through the “new normal” of life with Covid-19, Social Distancing, wearing masks, or meeting virtually. Normally we would meet once per month indoors as a Pack for a more formal meeting. We would have a separate “activity day” which could be a camping trip, hiking, rocket launching, archery, or some form of community service. This year we will look to combine those two meetings as much as possible so that we can be outdoors and mitigate Covid Risk as much as possible. Den Meetings may also look similar as the individual ranks/dens work on advancement and learning Scouting Skills together. If you are interested in joining Scouts this fall, please drop us a line through our Contact Page and we can guide you through the current process and event plans.
Confirmed Pack Events:
- Saturday 9/12: Pack Hike at F Gilbert Hills State Forest in Foxborough…meet in the parking lot at 9:30am
- Saturday 10/3: Pack Campout at BSA Camp Greenough in Yarmouth (Cape Cod)…more details TBA
Potential/Planned Pack Events:
- Sunday 10/25: Pack Meeting and Hiking at Camp Nobscot Sudbury, MA
- Sunday 11/8: Rocket Derby (TBD) Wrentham, MA
- Saturday 12/12: Annual Holiday Show at Forge Park Senior Living Center (TBD)
- Monday 12/21: December Pack Meeting @ St. Mary’s School
- Saturday 1/30: Pinewood Derby (Car Impound the night before) @ St. Mary’s School
- February TBD Field Trip to American Heritage Museum
- Monday 2/22: February Pack Meeting @ St. Mary’s School
- Sunday 3/14: Annual Blue & Gold Banquet
- Spring Overnight TBA Late March or Early April
- Monday 4/12: April Pack Meeting @ St. Mary’s School
- Saturday 5/1: Hiking and Potential Webelos Camping Trip
- May 22 or 23: Spring BBQ and Crossover Ceremony
- Monday 5/31: Memorial Day Parade
Recent Pack Events:
- Sunday 6/16: Annual Pack Fishing Derby on Uncas Pond (Franklin Rod & Gun Club)
- Saturday 6/1: Chuckwagon Derby at Camp Resolute, Bolton
- Monday 5/27: Franklin Memorial Day Parade
- Sunday 5/26: Grave Reflagging at St. Mary’s Cemetery on Beaver Street
- Sunday 5/19: Crossover and Family BBQ at King Street Fields
- Saturday 3/23: Pack Spring Night Journey Overnight at Worcester Ecotarium
- Sunday 3/10: Annual Blue & Gold Banquet at Franklin Elks
- Sunday 2/10: Group Fitness at Franklin Family Karate
- Sunday 2/3: Scout Sunday Services
- Saturday 1/26: Annual Pinewood Derby Race at the Charter School
- Saturday 12/15: Annual Holiday Show at Benchmark Senior Living in Franklin
- Sunday 11/18: Rocket Derby at Mount St. Mary’s Abbey in Wrentham
- Sunday 10/21: Fall Hike at Joe’s Rock in Wrentham
- Fri-Sat 9/28 – 9/29: Annual Fall Camping Trip at Treasure Valley Scout Reservation
- Saturday 8/25: Hiking at Borderland State Park in North Easton (9AM)
- Wednesday 8/8: Movie Night at Collins House in Wrentham (7-9PM)
- Wednesday 8/1: Summer Games at Fletcher Field Franklin (6:30 -8PM)
- Saturday 7/21: Scavenger Hunt at Dacey Field in Franklin (4PM)
- Saturday 7/14: Family Bike Ride at Milford Bike Trail, Meet at Lake Louisa (10AM)
- Sunday 6/24 Minute Cub Muster at Wayside Inn
- Saturday 6/23 Pawsox Game and Sleepover on the Field
- Sunday 6/10 Pack 92 Annual Fishing Derby at Uncas Pond
- Saturday 6/2 Seven Rivers District Chuck Wagon Derby
- Monday 5/28 Franklin Memorial Day Parade
- Sunday 5/20 Annual Rank Crossover and Family BBQ
- Saturday 4/28 Spring Overnight at Boston Museum of Science
- Sunday 3/11 Pack Blue & Gold at Franklin Elks
- Sunday 2/11 Archery at Ace Archers in Foxboro
- Saturday 1/29 Pack Pinewood Derby
- Saturday 12/9 Holiday Show at Forge Park Senior Living in Franklin
- Sunday 11/12 Pack Rocket Derby, Mount St Abbey Fields in Wrentham
- Sunday 10/29 Pack Hike, F Gilbert Hills State Forrest in Foxboro
- Saturday 9/23 – 9/24 Pack Camping Trip, Camp Sayre in Milton, MA
A few of our Scout Families took advantage of the opportunity to check out the bi-annual Minute Cub Muster, which was held at the Wayside Inn in Sudbury. The Minute Cub Muster features revolutionary war re-enactors who help the Scouts learn about history. There are numerous activities, song, music and discovery making this an event suitable for the entire Cub Scout family. At the end is the infamous Marshmallow Gun Battle! Congrats to our Scouts who attend this year.
The fishing certainly were biting on the morning of June 10th as we gathered on the shore and dock of the Franklin Rod & Gun Club for our annual Fishing Derby event! I think all of the Scouts caught at least a couple of fish and the dads were able to have some fun as well. A great morning learning new skills and creating memories for our young Scouts! Congrats to our big winners: Drew for Most Fish and Smallest (3.5″ Sunfish), Callum for Largest Fish (8.5″ Sunfish), and Peter for Most Fish Runner Up.
We returned to Jarvis Farms in Walpole once again for the annual District Chuck Wagon Derby! This is a great friendly competition between several of the Packs in our District that lets the Scouts show off the many skills they have acquired along the Scouting Trail. The Scouts and Leaders decorate their Chuck Wagons based on the theme of the year. This year’s theme was Mission Impossible! The scouts had a blast testing their skills at crates & planks, compass reading, obstacle courses, and more. Our older Webelos Scouts got to show off their skills with BB Guns, Archery, and Fire Building as well. Pack 92 had a great showing and I think everyone had a great time!
This year’s Blue & Gold Banquet was just sensational! Every year we celebrate our scouts and families with a luncheon at the Franklin Elks. We have awards for Scouts and Leaders and cross our Arrow of Light Scouts over to their new Boy Scout Troop. We hired “Mad Science” to entertain us this year, which was a nice change of pace. This is another “can’t miss” event that everyone really has a good time at celebrating scouting and spending time as a bigger scouting family.
The Pinewood Derby is the TOP event for Cub Scouts each year. This is one date that hardly anyone misses because it is just that much fun! Scouts build cars out of blocks of wood with help from their parents and decorate/style based on the theme or type of car they want to make. We race them for placement and use computer software and a digital timer to keep track of speed and time. We also have design awards. The top scouts move on to compete at the district race and if they are really fast Nationals in NYC!
In the Fall we also hold our Pack Rocket Derby. This is a non-competitive event where the scouts work with their parent to construct a model rocket from a kit and then launch them into space! We usually hold this event in November at Mount St Mary Abbey in Wrentham. We insert engines into the rockets and the boys get to push the ignition button to launch their rocket. I think half of the fun is chasing after their rocket as it falls back to earth!
Every fall we get the scouts out into nature for a hike! This is usually a low pressure flat hike in a local forest where we can get some fresh air and observe nature. The scouts also have rank requirements that can be worked
on during this time with their dens. Our Webelos Den knocked out their 3 mile hike requirement!
Pack 92 runs an annual fall camping trip that takes place at the end of September or early October each year. This past fall we camped out at Camp Sayre in Milton, MA which is also home to New England Base Camp. We started out with a rainy Friday that delayed our start a bit however we showed up in force on Saturday morning, set up camp, cooked lunch, enjoyed the activities at NE Base Camp (ropes, bouldering, bb guns, archery, tomahawk throw, ax yard activities, swimming, and boat safety). After a lovely group dinner of “Taco in a Bag” we got the fire blazing for our skit/song show, flag retirement ceremony, and of course roasting marshmallows for s’mores!